Friday, May 6, 2011

Hummus and a veg delivery

We received our first delivery of fruit and vegetables from the Riverford Farm folks.  It's not exactly a CSA as the things they provide are not all produced on their farms, but they source locally when they can and as the season progresses they source a higher and higher percentage of produce that comes from farms here in Cheshire.  It's all organic which is well and good, but it some respects the local is more important in terms of freshness and taste as some of the organic stuff needs to be sourced from the continent. 

Our big box of vegetables and box of fruit contained beautiful stuff and what we have had so far was super tasty.  I still miss our weekly take from Amy and Charlie from Lancaster Organic - not much can beat their stuff.  All beautiful - all of the time. 

Aided by today's delivery, I was able to continue with my Indian experiment which began 5 weeks ago or so after I visited a massive Pakistani grocer in Manchester.  The kitchen is fully stocked with a huge number of ingredients.  Tonight I made vangi batata bhaji which is a potato/eggplant dish with a bit of a kick.  Both potatoes and eggplant arrived in a veg box, I punched in the principles into Google and there you go. 

To date I have made many different Indian dishes, the favorite so far has been a chick pea curry.  The Girls have yet to join the party and I usually fix something different for them.  Pasta, steamed vegetables, salads - that sort of thing.

A secondary project was hummus production.  Without a food processor, I turned to the next best thing, a couple of six-year-old hands.  Xyla did a brilliant job crunching up the peas and mixing ingredients.  Good stuff and it will be enjoyed tomorrow for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment