Monday, May 30, 2011

Warm Weather and Attitude

We slept in this morning owing to the one hour time difference and exhaustion.  I went over to the bakery across the street to pick up some bread and things for breakfast and was immediately met with attitude.  I said good morning to the woman behind the counter when we walked in and she immediately asked what we wanted.  I gestured to my watch and smiled saying we would need some time.  When we were ready I pointed and tried to pronounce the name of the thing we wanted and she got all huffy and said something feeling like, "I don't understand what you are telling me."  Could be, but a little help may be in order. Excuse me if your language thinks its cool to have words for everyday things that are in excess of 26 letters, but...   Yukky encounter.  The guy at the tourist information office was the same way.  This conversation was in English but he was certainly a sourpuss and at one point looked at me and said in a pouty and insulting way, "I just told you where that place was." Or something like that.

After breakfast, we walked into town, got lost a couple of times, but eventually made it.  We had lunch in the square, got ice cream and hit the church.  We got on the tram for the park, but baled on that when I realized everyone was hot and tired.  We got the bus and made it back to the institute.  Once here, we got a tour of the place and among the things we saw was Paolo's huge paper-polyhedra collection.  The figures are quite large and hang from the ceiling in his office.  Click here to see the polyhedra.

Bonn is cool, but it is not lighting it up.  Sort of like a cross between Osaka, Antwerp and Rotterdam.  We have plans tomorrow to go to some of the museums - they were closed today.

No comments:

Post a Comment